What you should know
PDF/A is an ISO standard based on the Portable Document Format (PDF) standard and specialized for the long-term preservation of electronic documents.
From ConsignO, you can convert PDF files to PDF/A format, you can verify if a PDF file is compliant with the standard and you can show (reveal) which files claim to be compliant to the PDF/A standard. It is important to note that a signed documents cannot be converted to the PDF/A format after the signature.
ConsignO function with three PDF/A formats: PDF/A-1b, PDF/A-2b and PDF/A-3b. All of them ensure reliable reproduction of the visual appearance of the document, but PDF/A-2b and PDF/A-3b support a few more features. The main differences between these 3 formats is the type of content can be converted:
- The PDF/A-1b format is the most restrictive (The document to be converted cannot contain videos or audio, editable field or added commented, that have not been directly integrated into the document)
- The PDF/A-2b format has the same restrictions then 1-b format but allows for a better conversion quality and smaller document size when converted.
- The PDF/A-3b allows for the all type of embedded to be associated to the document. It also allows for 3D element, all the meanwhile keeping the same format as the previous formats.
For more information about the PDF/A formats , please refer to the following pages :
PDF/A-1b : http://www.digitalpreservation.gov/formats/fdd/fdd000125.shtml
PDF/A-2b : http://www.digitalpreservation.gov/formats/fdd/fdd000319.shtml
PDF/A-3b : http://www.digitalpreservation.gov/formats/fdd/fdd000360.shtml
To convert a PDF document to PDF/A format
- Select the document or documents you want to convert in the My Computer
- Right-click or click on the Edit
- Select Convert to PDF/A format.
- In the Convert to PDF/A window:
- If you selected more than one file, click Next if your selection is correct or Cancel to select again.
- Select from the drop-down between the PDF/A–1b, PDF/A-2b or PDF/A-3b.
- In the Actions section, select what you want to do with the converted file:
- Overwrite initial file
- Rename the file
- Select a new destination folder
- Select a new folder and delete the initial file
- Click Finish. A progress window will pop up to shows the conversion progress and status.
- Click OK on the status window.
Your file is now converted to PDF/A format.
To verify PDF/A compliance
- Select the document you want to verify in the My Computer view.
- Right-click or click on the Edit menu.
- Select Verify PDF/A compliance.
The status window displays the verification result.
To reveal PDF/A documents
- Select one or many documents or a folder from the My Computer
- You can:
- Right-click or click on the Edit menu and select Reveal PDF/A documents.
- Click on the icon from the My computer
The icon appears beside the PDF/A documents among those selected.
Note that no compliance validation is performed with the reveal function; it simply looks up the PDF/A claim metadata in the document.