Notarius acts as a Certification Authority. As such, it is the entity responsible for its certificates and Public Key Infrastructures (PKI)
Digital Signature (CertifiO products)
Represents the keys and the certificate issued by the Certification Authority to a subscriber, in order to identify him as a signatory and to preserve the origin of the document, its integrity and its authenticity. The digital signature comes with applications and licences for its use.
- CertifiO Suite: Software suite to use CertifiO digital signatures and sign PDF documents. The CertifiO Suite includes ConsignO Desktop, Entrust Entelligence Security Provider (EESP) and PDF995 (virtual PDF/A printer).
- CertifiO for Professionals: Digital signature certificate, certifying the identity and professional standing of the signer. For the exclusive use of the professional named in the certificate. Requires an agreement between the professional association and Notarius.
- CertifiO for Employees: Digital signature certificate, certifying the identity and relationship to the employer. For the exclusive use of the individual named in the certificate.
- CertifiO for Departments: Digital signature certificate, certifying the signing organization or department. Signer must be a person. Maximum of 2000 signatures annually. Delivered exclusively on a Notarius issued USB security token. Recognized by Adobe products without any custom configuration.
- CertifiO for Organizations: Digital signature certificate, certifying the signing organization or department. To be installed on a server, usually for a large volume of documents digitally signed annually. Delivered exclusively on Notarius issued USB security tokens. Recognized by Adobe products without any custom configuration.
- CertifiO for Evaluation: Digital signature certificate for testing purposes only; may not be used in a different context. Does not certify the identity, professional status or relation to the employer. The certificate includes a metadata which indicates to Adobe Acrobat and ConsignO that it is a test certificate, therefore the identity of the signatory is not verified thus not reliable.
- ConsignO Desktop: Software enabling conversion to PDF/A and digital signature operations. The conversion to PDF/A feature adds durability to the benefits provided by CertifiO products (origin, integrity and authenticity), in order to ensure the document’s long-term reliability. Includes the licence to accept CertifiO digital signatures.
- ConsignO Server Automation: Software Development Kit (SDK) installed on a server and integrated into an application to digitally sign PDF documents and, optionally, to convert PDF documents to PDF/A. Includes the licence to accept CertifiO digital signatures.
- VerifiO Server Automation: Software Development Kit (SDK) installed on a server and integrated into an application to automatically verify a document’s digital signatures properties (origin, integrity, authenticity), readiness for long-term validation and PDF/A compliance.
A professional group that is a legal entity in its own right, whose main mandate is to protect the public, and to which members of a given profession are affiliated and benefiting from governmental prerogatives such as regulatory jurisdiction and disciplinary power.
Section “My Account”
A section of Notarius’ website where users can subscribe to the CertifiO products, make online payments or direct bill an account, and that contains certain features enabling them to manage their digital signature’s life cycle.
An individual who subscribes to a Notarius’ product.
For products requiring a subscription, they are payable according to the terms of purchase set forth herein. For CertifiO products, subscriptions start when the application is accepted and terminated according to the following events:
- When the related fees are not paid.
- When applicable, at the request of the Professional association or employer.
Subscription to Digital signature (CertifiO products)
Subscriber to Digital signature
By signing up for a Digital signature, has a Subscriber/Client, I agree to:
- Fees Pay the sign-up and subscription fees in accordance with the terms of purchase. Otherwise, I understand that Notarius, my professional association, or my employer has the right to terminate my subscription, which will ultimately result in the revocation of my digital signature.
- Password and Data Confidentiality Not disclose or grant access to nother person any information, file, or device (USB key or other medium) specific to the use of my digital signature, including my .epf file, password, activation codes, and answers to the security questions that I use for authentication purposes. Moreover, I must protect my computer and any other device that contains my digital signature from unauthorized access.
- Publication Depending on the Product chosen, I authorize Notarius to publish the following information in my digital signature certificate: my first name(s) and last name(s), my member ID when applicable, and as the case may be, my email address, exactly as I entered them when I signed up or when I last modified them, as the case may be.
- Expired or Revoked Digital Signature Not use my digital signature if it is expired or revoked, and to destroy all digital signature applications and .epf files. In such case where my private key is stored on a device, I must ensure to erase it from the device prior to using it for another purpose.
- Licences Use applications provided with the digital signature in accordance with their respective usage licences.
- Usage Use the digital signature in a secure manner, more specifically by logging off from the Entrust® application session before leaving my computer.
- Disclosure Notify Notarius as soon as possible if I suspect that my digital signature has been compromised. I may also recover or revoke my own digital signature via the “My Account” section of Notarius’ website if I suspect it has been compromised.
- Changes to Contact Information Notify Notarius as soon as possible of any changes to my contact information by updating them via the “My Account” section of Notarius’ website.
A person who wants to act based on a digitally signed document MUST ensure that:
- The digital signature has been issued by Notarius.
- The validity period has not expired.
- The digital signature is not revoked.
Limitations of use
The specifications of a product may :
- Limit the number of times a digital signature is used.
- Restrict the use of digital signatures to certain products or transactions
Directory publishing service
Access to the certificate directory is free of charge for individuals who perform a small number of queries daily. In all other cases, an agreement with Notarius is required, which may involve fees, especially for high-volume transactions.
Limitation of Warranty
Notarius does not guarantee uninterrupted access to its Site or to its Web Services. Notarius does not guarantee the adequacy or accuracy for any purpose whatsoever, of the information, documents or other elements of the site. These are offered “as is” at the date they are published. Notarius cannot be held liable for damages of any kind, consequential or special, directly or indirectly related to the use or accuracy of the information available or mentioned on this Site or any other site you may access through this site, even if it has been advised of the possibility of such damages.
Links to other websites
The Site includes links to other websites or other Internet sources. Notarius agrees to withdraw any link leading to a site that contains works reproduced without permission shortly after it is notified. To the extent that it cannot control these sites and external sources, Notarius cannot be held responsible for their provision and assumes no liability for the content, links, advertisements, products, services or other materials available into or from such sites or external sources. Notarius cannot be held responsible for any damage or loss, proven or alleged, consecutive or relating to the use or the fact of having trusted the content, goods or services available on such sites or external sources. Therefore, it is up to the user to exercise discretion in the use of the content, and to assume all risks, particularly when relying on the appropriateness, usefulness or completeness of the content of sites and external sources.
Use of the Website
It is forbidden to :
- Use any automatic device, program, algorithm or methodology, or any similar or equivalent manual process to access, acquire, copy or monitor any portion of the Site or its contents.
- Reproduce or circumvent in any way whatsoever, the navigational structure or presentation of the Site to obtain or attempt to obtain any materials, documents or information through any means not intentionally made available to users.
- Attempt to gain unauthorized access to any part or functionality of the Site, or other systems or networks connected to the Site.
- Probe, scan or test the vulnerability of the Site, or any network connected to the Site.
- Violate the security measures or authentication of the Site, or any network connected to the Site.
- Fail to respect copyrights as described below.
From its Site, Notarius uses real-time chat software PureChat. Its use is subject to the manufacturer’s conditions, including :
- Chat data: When you use PureChat, we store and process chat data and information related to them. This provides access to features like chat transcripts and integration with other applications.
- Usage data: PureChat collect information about the devices you use to access our website and services. This includes things like IP addresses, the type of browser and device you use, and identifiers of your devices. Your devices may also transmit location information depending on its individual settings.
- Cookies and other technologies: We use technologies like cookies to keep track of your preferences and profile information. For example, cookies help us with things like remembering your username for your next visit, understanding how you are interacting with our website, and improving them based on that information. Cookies are also used for statistics that do not use your personal information.
- Legal: We may disclose your information to third parties if necessary to comply with the law.
Terms of Purchase
Unless otherwise specified, pricing is set in Canadian dollars and applicable taxes are added. Notarius reserves the right to change prices at any time. Professional associations that bill their members for CertifiO for Professional products reserve the right to make changes to their pricing at any time.
Methods of Payment
Subscription fees for a Product are payable in three ways :
- By credit card (Visa or MasterCard) through an online payment platform. A confirmation email is sent to the customer as a receipt.
- By direct billing the employer if it has an agreement with Notarius. Certain conditions apply.
- By an invoice issued by the Professional Association if it has an agreement with Notarius.
A refund is given if the Professionals association or an employer refuses the subscription application for a Product. No refund is given in the following cases:
- During the subscription, the client is no longer a member of the Professional association or the employer no longer assume the payment of the subscription.
- At the end of a subscription.
Unless otherwise indicated, the terms and conditions are governed by the laws of Quebec and Canadian laws if necessary. Any dispute relating thereto shall be brought before the court of the judicial district of Montreal, Province of Quebec.
Personal information is defined as being any information regarding an individual who can identify him, such as a birth date, email and credit card information. Customers do not have to give Notarius their personal information. However, if they choose not to communicate it, it is possible that we could not provide the products and services requested or even not be able to answer some questions.
Use of the personal information
Notarius uses personal information to:
- to provide products and services requested by customers;
- to maintain quality customer care ;
- market products and services of interest to its customers;
- allow its suppliers to assist in the marketing and distribution of its products and services;
- collaborate with various stakeholders as part of its operations.
Disclosure to third parties of personal information
Subject to the provisions herein, particularly for identity verification when applicable, Notarius cannot exchange, sell or disclose to any third party the personal information without the prior consent of the person concerned. Notarius contracts and maintains business relationships only with partners who maintain and apply high standards of privacy and consumer rights. Notarius agrees not to transmit or share with third parties any information relating to customer credit cards, unless Notarius authorizes the third party to undertake the billing products and services to its customers and has demonstrated Notarius the effectiveness of its information security. Notarius may transmit personal information to a third party authorized by law to:
- investigate potential illegal activities or activities that could threaten the integrity or completeness of its services or its network;
- Investigate fraud or violations of its service policies, such as the use or transfer of personal information required by the courts or tribunals in respect of a sale, merger or reorganization of its activities.
Protection of personal information
Notarius ensure protection of the personal information by security safeguards appropriate to their sensitivity, in accordance with its security policy.
Access to personal information
The person concerned may request access to his personal information and make the necessary corrections by making a request to Customer Service.
Retention of personal information
Notarius securely retain personal information as long as necessary for the provision of products or services, and according to imposed legal and contractual obligations.
Notarius collects non-personal information in respect of subscribers or users of the Internet for the use of its services or its websites. Without limiting the generality of the following, such non-personal information includes, in particular:
- the web pages visited by users;
- the usage duration of certain services;
- demographic data;
- other information that does not to identify the user.
Notarius may share non-personal information with third parties.
Cookies and other technologies
Notarius prohibits its employees, suppliers, agents, partners and anyone with whom it maintains business relationships to deploy or use any spyware to operate its Sites’.
Notarius makes substantial investments and deploys several technologies and security settings to ensure the confidentiality of information on its network. Moreover, Notarius has adopted a security policy compliant with the ISO 27001 standard to ensure that personal information collected is protected at all levels of its organization. Every Notarius employee agrees in writing to comply with this policy, and access to documents of personal nature is limited to authorized employees consequently with their function.
Trademarks and copyrights
The trademarks and logos presented in this Site are the property of Notarius or third parties. Permission to use any of these trademarks must be obtained in writing. CertifiO, ConsignO and VerifiO are trademarks of Notarius.
Unless otherwise indicated, the form and content of the Site are protected by copyright and by Quebec, Canadian and foreign laws on intellectual property. By downloading software or materials contained on this Site, you acknowledge that these are protected by Canadian and international laws on copyright and, if applicable, you agree to comply with the licence that governs their use. Therefore, it is strictly forbidden to reproduce or redistribute them without the express permission of the copyright holder.